Department of Hydrology and Climatology

Head of the Department

dr hab. Stanisław Chmiel, prof. UMCS

Staff


Current research topics

  • Changes and fluctiations of climate - practical and methodical aspects
  • Climate of areas with varying degrees of anthropopressure
  • Evaluation of water resources of the Lublin region
  • Comprehensive environmental monitoring of the Central Roztocze
  • Hydrological and economic consequences of the change of water circulation conditions in the Lublin Agglomeration
  • Geomorphological context of soil catenas of the loess uplands of the Lublin region
  • Dynamic of gully erosion
  • Application of new measurement techniques and methods of their interpretation in regional hydrological and hydrochemical research

History

The Department of Hydrology and Climatology was established on 1 October 2019. Earlier, from October 1, 2018, it was the Department of Hydrology and Climatology. This Department was created by merging the Department of Meteorology and Climatology, the Department of Hydrology and the Roztocze Scientific Station in Guciów. The Department was headed by Prof. Bogusław M. Kaszewski. Since October 1, 2020 the Head of the Department is Dr. hab. Stanislaw Chmiel, prof. UMCS.

The Department of Meteorology and Climatology was established in 1955. Its organizer and first head was docent Włodzimierz Zinkiewicz. In 1970 the Department changed its name to the Department of Meteorology and Climatology. In 1979 the Department was divided into the Department of Meteorology and Climatology under the direction of Prof. Edward Michna (and since 1984 under the direction of Dr. Stanislaw Paczos) and the Department of Meteorology and the Meteorological Observatory under the direction of Prof. Wojciech Warakomski. After the death of Dr. S. Paczos in 1991, the two Departments were reunited and Professor W. Warakomski became head of the Department. Since 1998 the Department was headed by dr hab. Bogusław M. Kaszewski.

The Department of Hydrography (since 2011 the Department of Hydrology) was established in 1956. It was organized and managed by Prof. Tadeusz Wilgat for 31 years. After his retirement, the Department remained for a year under the care of the curator, Prof. W. Warakomski. In 1988 the management of the Department was taken over by Dr. Zdzisław Michalczyk, who held this position until January 31, 2017. From February 1, 2017 until the change of the Department's structure, the Head of the Department was dr hab. Jarosław Dawidek, prof. UMCS.

The Roztoczańska Scientific Station in Guciów near Zwierzyniec, as a unit of the Institute of Earth Sciences, started its activity in 1979. The station is located in the building of a former primary school, donated to the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in 1977 by the educational authorities. Its first manager was docent Jan Buraczyński, who held this position until 1988. In the years 1988-1989, the station was curated by Prof. Henryk Maruszczak, PhD, and then by Dr. Krzysztof H. Wojciechowski. From 1997, Dr Jan Rodzik took over the management of the Station.

 


Currently ongoing research projects:


    Follow UMCS: