EU nationals

EU/EEA citizens

Citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland do not need to apply for a visa to enter Poland. They may cross the border on the basis of a valid travel document: an ID card or a passport. If they are going to stay less than three months, they do not need to register their stay as foreigners but they do have to do it if their stay exceeds three months. Students from non-EU/EEA member countries should apply for a visa for educational purposes through the Polish consulate or embassy in their home country.

Step 1 – EU/EEA citizens: register your stay in Poland
Citizens of the European Union (EU), of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries or from Switzerland planning to study and stay in Poland for a period exceeding 3 months must register their stay within the first three months of their stay in Poland.

Where to register?

Lubelskie Province Governor’s Office in Lublin
Department for Foreigners
(in Polish: Lubelski Urząd Wojewódzki, Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców, Oddział ds. Cudzoziemców)
ul. Czechowska 15
tel.: 81 7424559

Documents required to register the stay

  1. Application for registering the residence completed in Polish (1 original + 3 photocopies),
  2. Student status statement  (issued by the Dean’s office at your faculty),
  3. Proof of medical insurance (e.g. European Health Insurance Card – EHIC or other),
  4. Proof of sufficient financial funds to live in Poland (it may be a certification from the university of origin about the Erasmus grant or a bank statement),
  5. Photocopy of a valid travel document (e.g. an ID card or a passport) + original document to show for verification).

Fees: free of charge
All documents submitted in foreign languages should be translated into Polish by a sworn translator. You may access the list of Polish sworn translators at:
After the registration the EU/EEA citizens will be given a certificate of registration of residence.

Step 2 – EU/EEA citizens: register your residence

Citizens of EU/EEA and Switzerland are required to register their new place of residence in Lublin within 30 days.

Where to register?
Residents’ Service Centre
(in Polish: Biuro Obsługi Mieszkańców)
20-071 Lublin
ul. Wieniawska 17 (1st floor, desks No 15, 16, 17)
Documents required

  1. Registration Form (it should be completed and signed by the student and then by the dormitory manager. If a room or a flat is rented instead, the rental agreement is required as well),
  2. valid ID card or passport,
  3. Registration of residence of a European Union citizen from the Department for Foreigners (see Step 1).

Sometimes a student may be asked for other additional documents (a certificate of the student status at UMCS or a birth certificate).

Fees: free of charge
After registration, you will receive a certificate confirming registration as a resident in Lublin.