Staying in touch (Cell phones, Internet in dormitories)

Major mobile phone operators in Poland include: Orange, Play, Plus and T-Mobile.

After you arrival in Poland you may want to buy a new SIM card. There are two different ways to purchase a SIM card: pay-as-you-go or a contract.

The pay-as-you-go option is considered cheaper and more flexible. You can buy a starter pack in official stores of mobile phone providers. With prepaid option it is easy to keep track of how much you spend on calls.

You can buy credit to top up your phone in supermarkets, newsagents or petrol stations. Most SIMs need to be topped up at least once a year not to be suspended. Credit validity varies between providers and often depends on the top-up amount.

Remember to register your new SIM card.

Your new SIM card need to be registered by a mobile phone provider in order to be activated. It is recommended to by a starter pack in one of the official sale points of the chosen network and register your SIM card on the spot. You will be required to show your valid passport to register.

It is sometimes still possible to buy a pay-as-you-go starter pack in a supermarket or a newsagents. Bear in mind that you will not be able to register your SIM card there. In order to do it, you will still need to visit the official store of a mobile phone provider or the nearest post office, which offers such service.