About UMCS

The order of the patron's surnames in the name of the university

The order of the patron's names mentioned in the name of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University is neither a mistake nor a coincidence.

The university was established under its current name on 23rd October 1944. The legal regulations in this respect do not allow the Rector Authorities or the Academic Senate to change the university's name. Only the legislative authority could make such a decision.

The second reason why the name of the university is in such an order of surnames is that the UMCS patron used both spelling forms of her surname interchangeably, as evidenced by her signature in the guest book of the Lublin Cathedral in 1930 (photocopy below).


    Follow UMCS: