Getting to Lublin

Lublin can be easily reached by train, bus, car or plane.
Lublin has its own airport in Świdnik. There is a direct rail or buslink from the airport to Lublin city centre (Lublin Central Railway Station). The ride takes about 15 minutes. For more information, please visit:
If there is no direct connection to Lublin, the best way is to travel to Chopin Airport in Warsaw, the nearest international airport to Lublin. Information in English on the Warsaw Chopin Airport can be found on the following website:

There is a private line of mini buses that go directly from the airport to the main bus station in Lublin (cost: approx. PLN 50.00; travel time: 3 hours). Unfortunately, they are not very frequent.

By train: There is a direct rail link from the Warsaw Chopin Airport to the city centre (to the Warsaw Central Railway Station). The trains run approx. every 15 minutes and the ride takes 25 minutes. Tickets are sold at the ticket machines at the station or on the train.
By bus: You should take a line 175 bus (running daily 3 times an hour during the week and once an hour on weekends) or an N 32 night bus (running daily) to reach the Central Railway Station in Warsaw (in Polish: Dworzec Centralny). The bus terminal is located in front of the south pier on the arrivals level. The fare is about PLN 4.00. A bus ticket can be bought in a newsagent’s on the base floor in the arrival zone of the airport or from the vehicle driver, or in a ticket machine in a bus (if available). You should get off at Dworzec Centralny bus stop after about 30 min.

By train: After you get off the line 175 bus you should go to the main train station on the basement level. There, at a station’s ticket office (in Polish: KASA), you should buy a direct train ticket to Lublin. There are several trains daily and they go approx. every two hours until 8:00 pm. The journey takes two and a half hours until you arrive at the railway station in Lublin. From there, we recommend to take a taxi to go directly to the UMCS campus or to go by a line 150 trolleybus in the direction of Węglin and to get off at Al. Racławickie, bus stop no. 5903 – KUL03.
By bus: The mini buses depart either every 30 minutes or every hour, depending on the time of the day. One mini bus line departs from Plac Defilad in Warsaw, near ul. Marszałkowska, which is a 7 min. walk from the bus stop. The other minibus line leaves from ul. Nowogrodzka, which is also nearby, next to the Mariott Hotel. You should buy your ticket from a bus driver. When you reach the Lublin bus station at ul. Ruska, you may take a 5, 10, 31, or 57 line bus from Al. Tysiąclecia, bus stop no. 1902 – Dworzec Gł. PKS 02, and then get off at Al. Racławickie, bus stop no. 5903 – KUL03. Nearby, within a 5-minute walk, there is the university campus. You should just cross the street and go down ul. Sowińskiego to reach student residence halls on your right or Plac Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej on your left.

In each town you can also use website:

Orientation days

The Orientation Days take place before he semester has officially commenced and are designed to help new international students to go through the formalities and settle into living in Lublin. It is highly recommended for all newcomers to participate in this event. The program of Orientation Days aims to make the incoming students’ start at the university easier and to familiarize them with new surroundings. There, the formalities such as health insurance, applying for a residence permit, registration, etc. are all dealt with and assistance is given in selecting courses. In addition, guided tours of the university and its campus including the sport centre are organized. The Orientation Days program includes also a Lublin city tour to acquaint students.

Student ID card

Student IDs are issued by the faculty administration (Dean’s office) where all student records are kept. Upon arrival, the students need to submit one photograph and pay an administrative fee. The ID entitles students (up to the age of 26) to discounts on fares in public transport and should be shown on request at inspections.

When you finish your ERASMUS program, please do not forget to bring the card back to the Dean’s Office.

Polish language course for Erasmus students

Erasmus students coming to UMCS may participate in a Polish language course prepared especially for them. Courses are free for Erasmus students and last one semester, taking 4-5 hours per week. There is a variety of groups and levels and, when it is possible, the course hours are adjusted to the students’ timetables. Successful completion of the course is worth 4 ECTS credits.

The Centre also organizes EILC Polish language courses which are held before the beginning of the academic year. For current availability and participation conditions, please see the website on the right.

The Polish Language and Culture
Centre for Polish People from Abroad
and Foreigners UMCS

(in Polish: Centrum Języka i Kultury Polskiej
dla Polonii i Cudzoziemców, CJKPPC)
ul. Weteranów 18
20-038 Lublin
tel.: +48 (81) 533 27 86; 81 537 54 25
fax: +48 (81) 537 56 15; 81 537 28 76

University canteens

On the campus there are several canteens where you can have a meal in a friendly atmosphere. There are the following student canteens on the campus:

BAZYLIA basement level in the new
Humanities building
open: Mon. – Fri.: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sat. – Sun.: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm

IURIS CLUB in the Faculty of Law building
open: Mon. – Sat.: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sun.: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm

CHILLI in the Rektorat building
open: Mon. – Thu.: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Fri. – Sun.: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

There are many other lunch bars located throughout and around university campuses.The prices of a set lunch oscillate between EUR 2.5 and EUR 4.



The Physical Culture Centre (in Polish: Centrum Kultury Fizycznej) complex includes three gymnasiums, a swimming pool, two weight lifting rooms, a fitness room, a climbing wall, and a spinning room. Outside, there is a multifunctional sports field with synthetic surface and lighting, and two sand courts for beach volleyball.

Physical Culture Centre
ul. Langiewicza 22, 20-032 Lublin
tel.: +48 (81) 533 71 99

At Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, students can participate in activities of over 20 sports units, which makes it the widest offer among the universities in the region.



The library and information system of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University comprises the Main Library and around 20 specialist libraries, which are spread over different buildings of the university institutes, faculties and other units such as: Polish Language and Culture Centre for Polish People from Abroad and Foreigners, European Documentation Centre, Foreign Languages Teaching and Examination Centre and Botanical Garden. The Main Library holds over 1.5 million volumes, whereas the whole resources of the informational-library system include over 2.5 million volumes/units. Most books published after 1989 have been catalogued in an integrated on-line system. All readers who want to place orders for books to be borrowed or taken to the reading rooms can use the computers in the catalogue hall or their own computers with Internet access. Older publications can be found either in the on-line catalogue, or – if they are not available on-line – in the card catalogue. In the case of the card catalogue, students should place traditional orders (by means of order slips).
However, if you cannot find the items that you need in our library, you may also make use of an interlibrary loan, but keep in mind that this service is charged. Each specialist library offers books and other materials available in-house in the reading rooms or for checking out as overnight or weekend loans.

The Main Library building is situated in the
centre of the university campus,
at ul. Radziszewskiego 11.

If an exchange student wants to borrow books from the Main Library, they should ask for issuing a library card at the Circulation Desk (tel. 81 537 58 02), which is located in the hall on the ground floor, vis-à-vis the main entrance.
To register with the library and obtain your library card you should present the following documents: passport or personal ID, valid student ID, completed and signed “Library Registration Form”
Those foreign students who have an electronic student ID may use it as a library card after registering in the library system.
There are several reading rooms in the Main Library. The reading rooms are open on:

  • Monday: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm,
  • Tuesday – Friday: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm,
  • Saturday: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm.

For the opening hours and lending regulations of the Main Library, please visit the website:

Residence Registration Requirement

Within four days of entry to Poland and moving into a place of residence in Lublin (it could be a student residence hall or a private flat) foreign students have to register at the City Office.

Required documents:

  • Registration Form (it should be completed and signed by the student and then by the director of the student residence hall. If a room or a flat is rented instead, the rental agreement is required as well)
  • valid ID card or passport
  • document authorizing you to legally stay in Poland (a visa, a residence permit card, a decision of residence permit for a specified period of time) Sometimes a student may be asked for other additional documents (a certificate of the student status at UMCS or a birth certificate).

Place of registration:

Residents Affairs Bureau (in Polish: Biuro Obsługi Mieszkańców)
ul. Wieniawska 17 (1st floor)
20-071 Lublin
tel.: +48 81 466 10 02; +48 81 466 35 00;
+48 81 466 35 62; +48 81 466 35 41.
Office hours:
Monday, Tuesday: 7:45 am – 4:45 pm
Wednesday-Friday: 7:45 am – 3:15 pm

After having presented these documents, foreign students will receive a printed confirmation, which is a proof of accommodation in Lublin, necessary to apply for the registration of residence in the case of EU/EEA citizens or for a temporary residence permit in the case of non–EU citizens.

Legalisation of stay

Citizens of EU/EEA countries do not need to apply for a visa to enter Poland. They may cross the border on the basis of a valid travel document: an ID card or a passport. If they are going to stay less than three months, they do not need to register their stay as foreigners but they do have to do it if their stay exceeds three months. Students from non-EU/EEA member countries should apply for a visa for educational purposes through the Polish consulate or embassy in their home country.

  • Citizens of the European Union (EU), of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries or from Switzerland planning to study and stay in Poland for a period exceeding 3 months must register their stay within the first three months of their stay in Poland.
  • Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries must register their stay at least 45 days before the expiration of their present visa/ residence permit.

Where to apply?

Voivod’s Office of Lubelskie, Citizens’ Affairs and Foreigners Department , Foreigners ’ Affairs Unit (in Polish: Lubelski Urząd Wojewódzki, Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców, Oddział ds. Cudzoziemców)
20-914 Lublin
ul. Spokojna 4
tel.: +48 81 742 45 59

Office hours:
Mondays, Thursdays: 7:30 am – 3:00 pm
Tuesdays: 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Wednesdays: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Fridays: 7:30 am – 2:30 pm

To do list before leaving

Before leaving Lublin, at the end of the study stay an Erasmus Student should not forget about a few important things. This checklist will help you to arrange all important matters.

Do not forget

Things to do

“Working” Transcript

of Records

Collect all your grades and signatures from teachers.

Transcript of Records

After you collect all signatures on the “working” Transcript of Records, bring it to the Dean’s Office. Based on this document, you will be given the official Transcript of Records.

Student ID

The Student ID must be returned to the Dean’s Office.


of Attendance

To get this document you should come to the Erasmus Office either with the “working” Transcript of Records (with all the signatures) or with the official Transcript of Records. The Transcript of Records – either “working” or official – is necessary to obtain the Certificate of Attendance. The Certificate of Attendance is issued not earlier than two days before the end of your studies.

Hall of Residence

To move out from the Hall of Residence you must make an appointment with the Administrator who will check your room. Prior to getting the signature of the Administrator, the payments must be settled, and the room must be cleaned and left in good condition. If anything is broken, you will have to pay for the damage.


Return all books to the Main Library and to the faculty libraries.